Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Anyways, my socks are coming along nicely. I love the yarn, the colors are great.
I admit, I don't really feel like posting much right now. I just realized that I still needed to be posting for HSS, so here it is. I'll post again later in the week.
Saturday, April 25, 2009
My mom may possibly be coming to visit next month. I was thinking of visiting her the end of next month/early June, but I think I'll be waiting until July. We'll have a little bit more $$ then.
I think our big adventure next month will be a trip to Silver Springs. I haven't been there since I was a teen. They have glass bottom boats, which are very cool. They also have a couple of rides, other boat rides, kids stuff, etc. Lots to do, it looks like fun! I think Ethan will really like it. I mentioned we would be going to my mom and she wants to go too. That's where she went on her honeymoon, 38 years ago! SS is about a 2 hour drive from here, so it'll be a day trip.
In an unexpected turn of events, I'm getting a spinning wheel!! Really! Totally not planned. The talent behind Cosmic Fiber is active on one of the forums I'm active on on Ravelry. She just got a new Lendrum and mentioned she would be selling her wheel. It's a Louet S70. It's perfect because it is single treadle and Irish tension. And it's solid oak. She's letting me make payments, so we were able to work it into our budget. I'm pretty excited!
Well, that's about it for now. Ryan has internet most of the time, so we're able to chat a good bit. He's called a couple of times too. Last night they had a going away dinner for one of the Chiefs and they ate at a Honduras restaurant off base. He had quite a large meal, which he said was really good, plus a bottle of water and it cost $6. Nice! :)
Friday, April 17, 2009
2. Which “Harry Potter” character’s first name is the Roman equivalent of the Greed Goddess Athena?
3. In ‘Harry Potter’ World, this wizard has created the Philosopher’s Stone (called the Sorcerer Stone in the US). The historical figure from the 14th and 15th centuries was a scribe and a manuscript-seller who became famous as an alchemist. Who is this individual?
4. What is the first name of a character whose last name is the name of a Bulgarian leader from early 9th century who doubled the country’s territory?
5. Which character’s name is the name of goddess in Indian mythology?
6. “Where the Wild Things Are” tells the story of Max, a young boy sent to bed without his supper for his wild antics. Who created this winner of the Caldecott Medal?
a. Maurice Sendak
7. What was NOT one of the unexpected defense mechanisms that Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Griphook encountered in their attempt to rob Gringotts?
d. The Geminio Curse
8. What was Snape aiming at when he cut off George’s ear?
c. Another Death Eater’s wand hand
9. How much older than James was Lily? (Referring to Harry’s parents, not children).
d. 2 months
10. Food is one of the five exceptions to what magical law?
b. Gamp’s Law of Elemental Transfiguration
Where the Wild Things Are
Saturday, April 11, 2009
I had not that great of a week. I was so sick on Thursday, I spent all day in bed. I felt better on Friday and finally pretty decent today. Early Thursday morning around 2 am I was getting ready to go to bed. I started feeling a bit lightheaded. I figured it was late and I had been goofing on the computer, so going to sleep would cure that. Wrong. I was so lightheaded all day Thursday and tired too. It was horrible. I am still feeling it a little here and there today, but mostly normal. I had blood drawn on Wednesday, just 2 vials and my period started, I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I have extremely heavy periods. They are checking for anemia, as well as cholesterol, thyroid and .... hmm.. I forgot the last one already. Oh, blood sugar. I hope I don't get that feeling again, it sucked.
I am chugging right along with my HSKS bag. Almost done with the 2nd half. Would have been if I hadn't been sick.
This Wednesday I'm finally getting all of my international packages out. Thank goodness. I'll no longer be doing any international shipping for a while, it just takes me too long to actually get to the PO.
Well, that's about it for now.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
We've been without internet access for a good part of today. We were out doing a lot of running around, so it wasn't too big of a deal. But I was feeling a bit tired this evening and just wanted to relax and play some games, no knitting. Instead, we watched most of The Wizard of Oz. I love that movie! Ethan seemed to enjoy it too.
One more week until Ryan leaves. He'll be leaving next Sunday. :( Deployment sucks. I have a decent amount of stuff planned for Ethan and I to do while he's gone. Plus we've started going to the library. Ethan loves the library. I do too. I put a whole shitload of books on hold, not even thinking that most of them would come in around the same time, so now I have a ton of reading to do. Which is fine because I'm really trying to cut back on my internet time. Sometimes it just sucks you in.
So, I'm not even sure if I want to finish reading the last 2 Twilight books. After I finish reading one, I think, it's not even that great. The writing isn't all that. But while I'm reading one, I'm totally sucked in, can't put the book down. I've even read the one that may not get finished, from Edward's point of view and I couldn't get up from the computer. There's a girl who puts summaries of books/movies on her blogs and I read her summaries for the last 2 books. It sounds like the books take a turn for the crazy and I like it. So, I probably will get the last 2 books and the movie. It's so weird though, that the books draw me in like that, but I don't think they're particularly good.
We ordered an XBox 360 Arcade the other day. It's mainly so we can watch Netflix on TV, but I'll also be using it for some game play. We got Scene It today at Best Buy. We got the Live 360 subscription too (you need it for Netflix), so I can play games online as well. When Ryan gets back from Honduras, we're going to get World Tour (I think that's the Guitar Hero one). Ryan will do guitar, I'll sing and he says we'll be able to find a drummer online. :) Sounds like fun!
BTW, even with dishing out $280 for the XBox, Live Gold subscription (13 mts) and a remote control plus our monthly Netflix cost, it's still cheaper than cable. And next year it'll be even cheaper because the XBox is a one time cost. I really like Netflix. I love the instant viewing. I watch a good amount on my computer, but with Ryan gone decided it would be best to be able to watch on the TV too. In the evenings, when it's just me and Ethan, to save my sanity, I usually put a somewhat kid friendly movie on for us both to watch. I usually knit and Ethan plays and sometimes watches. I went through most of our DVDs while Ryan was gone for 2 weeks in San Diego, so I decided we needed a larger library. That's why we're getting the XBox. Anyways, Netflix is great because you can get just about any TV show or movie, either on DVD or Instant view. NO COMMERCIALS! I love that! I don't miss cable at all. Why pay for all those channels when we watch like 3, maybe. We haven't had cable for over a year now, though we just got Netflix in January. And now that I'm going to the library, that gives us even more DVD/VHS options. They're free to check out, which is nice. That's where we picked up The Wizard of Oz. :)
I had my annual female doctor visit the other day. It's actually been 3 years since my last, but the doctor said after 35, if you've been having normal paps, you only have to come every 3 years, so I was fine. Anyways, I really wanted my IUD removed. My periods are horrendous and I don't even like having to leave the house. It totally interrupts my normal life and my mood swings are unbearable ( and not just to me!). I haven't felt the string in a very long time. The doctor I was seeing is a family care doctor. He thinks he saw the sting, and it was super short, but he wasn't sure, so I'll have to go to OB/Gyn and may possibly have to be x rayed to make sure it's still there. Ugh. Not only will I have to go back and go through the stirrup procedure again, it's probably going to be a PIA and I may have to get x rayed. I'm going to research BC before going back. I was thinking Yaz because it's supposed to help with PMDD as well as regulate periods. I really don't want to take hormones, which is why I got the copper IUD, but living this way isn't all that great either.
TMI Warning Over
It's been over a week since I swapped anything! Woot! I got most of my packages out yesterday. I still have 3 here that I needed addresses for. My HLBOE package is going out this week. Hopefully Tuesday because I didn't get it all packaged up today. Currently working on my HSKS project. The yarn is ready for my HSS and will be shipped with my club shipment to save on shipping, so in a week probably. I'll try to get my HSKS done before that gets here so I can get started on a gauge swatch right away. That is my plan anyways.
So, I think that's about it for this week. I need to go post on the HSS blog.
Sunday, March 29, 2009
My handmade item for the HLBOE swap is done. Well, it needs to be accessorized, but the knitting is done. After frogging and starting over. Colorwork is a PITA and this was supposed to be an easy/beginners colorwork project. I have even more respect now for all those Fair Isle sweaters. Wow. It's cool that I did it, but I don't think I'll be rushing to do another. lol
Now my handmade item for HSKS is underway. Really, I need to start reading patterns before deciding to do them. This isn't going to be a hard knit, per say, but the stitch is uses is different and kind of a PITA. It looks really cool though.
Ryan is on leave and will be deploying on the 12th. We're both glad that he's able to go to Honduras instead of Iraq or Afghanistan, but it still stinks.
Bella is doing well. I discovered she's been peeing on the floor in the extra room and Ethan's room. Unfortunately, I did not discover this until it started to smell bad. But I caught her the other day. I need to get some floor cleaner and a scrub brush to clean the rug, what I have here isn't working for the smell. It's better, but not all gone. She goes out a lot during the day, so I'm hoping this is just an adjustment period type of thing. Arty did it too when we first got her.
We hit up the thrift stores and the swap meet this weekend. It was fun. I got some "new" clothes, which is nice. I also got some DVDs at the swap meet today. I was looking for Nightmare Before Christmas, but no luck. I did get Sleepy Hollow, Pirates of the Carribean 2 and Black Sheep. If you're into zombie horror/comedy movies, check out Black Sheep. I haven't seen it yet, but it looks good, in a bad sort of way. :)
I have been swapping altogether too much lately. I'm not talking about my HP swaps, but the swap/trade boards on Rav. They are addicting and I need to stop. I'm going to unjoin those forums for a bit. I spend way too much on postage. I keep saying I'm going to stop/cut back, but each pay period I end up with $40 or more in postage. So, I'm going to have to unjoin. I really like chatting with the people there, so it's a little sad. I actually want to start cutting back on my internet time in general.
Well, I think Ethan is up to no good, so I'm going to go find him.
Monday, March 23, 2009
Today was busy too, lots of running around to do, I was out of the house for most of the day. No knitting today yet either. :( Maybe this evening after I put E to bed.
My HLBOE and HSKS packages are close to being ready to go. Just have to finish up on the hand knit items. Almost done! Yay! After these and the HSS swap, I am going to take a break from HP swaps. I've been going back and forth on this and have finally decided to take a break. I've been doing HP swaps for about a year now and as much as I love HP, I am HP swapped out. I am really not into the swaps this time around, ie message board, chats. With Ryan leaving soon, E and I will be doing some traveling and what not, so I don't want to be tied up in a swap. Not one that requires a hand knit item anyways.
So, I don't think I posted here that we got a new dog. Her name is Bella and she's a Jack Russell/Beagle mix. We believe she's deaf. She's a very sweet dog, loves to give kisses. She's very good with E too. We've had her for just over a week now. Her and Arty are getting along really well. She's definitely a great addition to our family. :)
Here are some pics. 1st, just Bella. 2nd Bella and Arty.
Saturday, March 14, 2009
1. On which day did the Order of the Phoenix come to get Harry?
2. During all this chaos with voldemort and the Death Eaters, people still had lives to live and Ron's oldest brother, Bill decided to marry Fleur Delacour? Who were the uninvited guests at Bill and Fleur's wedding?
b. Death Eaters
3. Voldemort had seven Horcruxes hidden in different places. Six of them were hidden at the Gaunt shack, Hogwarts, a cave, inside Harry, inside his snake, Nagini and Tom Riddles Diary. Did Voldemort hide the last Horcrux inside the Malfoy's vault at Gringotts?
4. Why did the Dumbledore's move to Godric's Hollow?
c. The father went to Azkaban
5. Harry and Hermione read a part of "Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore," written by Rita Skeeter. Then they met Dumbledore's brother Abeforth and he told them the same story, just with a few details changed. Which of the following did Aberforth and Rita Skeeter agree on about Dumbdore's past?
b. That Dumbledore was friends with Grindelwald for a while.
6. When Harry and Hermione visit Godric's Hollow, they visit the graveyard to see Harry's parent's graves. Harry walks by a tombstone that we later learn belong to tone of "The Three Broother'. The brother buried there once owned what?
a. The ressrection stone
b. The cloak
7. The Trio finds out that Luna had been kidnapped by the Death Eaters , and that they won't give her back until they got Harry Potter. Why did they kidnap Luna?
a. Her father sided with Harry and Dumbledore
8. After Voldemort killed Snape, he left the room and Harry came out from under the cloak. Snape gave Harry some of his memories all the way from when he was a child to just months before. Harry dived into the Pensieve and which of the following did he not see?
c. Snape and Lily having fun in a potions class
9. On the search of the Lost Diadem, Harry finally gets to takl to the Gray Lady. Who was the Gray Lady when she was alive?
c. Helena Ravenclaw.
10. Which of these is not one of Harry or Ron's children?
Saturday, March 7, 2009
I also visited a new LYS. I had known about it, but had never been. It's very nice and we enjoyed our visit there. They have a bit different stock than my other LYS that I would normally go too, so it's nice to have a local selection.
I'll be mailing out my HLBOE swap package within the next couple of weeks and plan on shipping my HSKS package within the first couple of weeks of April. I've got to check and see when the early shipping dates are.
Ryan came home today, which is nice. He's glad to be home too. :)
Sunday, March 1, 2009
I think I totally missed the time limit for HSKS, though I'm good for HLBOE swap.
I've got the vast majority of shopping done for these 2 swaps, just a few local things I need to pick up, Yay!
I'm in HSS too and I think I know what yarn I'll be using for that swap. Hopefully it'll still be there for sale when I go to get it. :)
I finished my Jim Jones socks yesterday and my STR Knitters w/o Borders socks are almost done too. I started No Purl Monkeys today with Cosmic Fiber's Dexter's Donuts.
Speaking of which, Dexter will be coming to my house in a couple of days. It's next on my queue with Netflix. We currently have The Nightmare Before Christmas, and watched it 3 times this weekend. Ethan really liked it. It'll go in the mail tomorrow and Dexter should be here by Wednesday.
I have to say that Netflix is worth every penny. I love watching instantly and getting the DVD is nice too. We don't have cable and it is an excellent alternative. Much less expensive and no annoying commercials. It is, however, cutting into my X Files marathon. I've been working on getting through all the X Files seasons for about a year. I'm in Season 7 now, but that got set aside as I started watching Doctor Who. And now I have Dexter and Torchwood coming too. I did watch the X Files movie last week, which I loved. That is one I'll buy, along with Pirates of the Carribean 2 & 3.
Well, I'm going to run for now. I'll have a better update in a few days.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
1. Go to your pictures on your computer
2. Open the 6th folder
3. Choose the 6th picture
4. Show the picture on your blog and write something about it.
5. Invite 6 new people to this challenge.
6. Link to them and let them know they have been tagged.
My 6th folder only had 2 pictures in it and they were both the same. Here it is!
These are, IIRC, Romney or Romney blend locks that I bought raw. I washed them, dyed them, hand carded them and spun them for a spin along I was doing. The colors represent a crab nebula. It was fun.
d. Harry’s upcoming birthday
2. Who revealed the actual date of Harry’s transfer to Voldemort, despite the misinformation the Order had been spreading around that the move would occur on the eve of his actual birthday?
3. With the use of Polyjuice Potion (and to confuse any possible attack by Death Eaters), six member of the Order were disguised as Harry and escorted out of Privet Drive, along with the real Harry. Which member of the order did not survive that night?
a. Mad-Eye Moody
4. Who informed Harry, Ron and Hermione of the bequests left to them in Dumbledore’s will?
d. Rufus Scimgeour
5. During the wedding celebration for Bill and Fleur, Kingley Shacklebolt sent a Patronus to tell the guests that the Ministry had fallen, Scrimgeour (the Minister) was dead and the wedding celebration was about to be attacked by Death Eaters. What form did the Patronus take?
a. A lynx
6. Escaping from the wedding to London, our three friends found themselves confronted by a pair of Death Eaters, disguised as workmen. This close brush impressed on them the need to find someplace to hide. Where did they decide to go?
b. Sirius Black’s house
7. Kreacher’s animosity towards Harry, Ron and especially Hermione (a Mudblood) was well documented in book five, “The Order of the Phoenix.” His initial interaction with them showed that his attitude had not changed. How did they win him over?
d. By giving him Regulus Black’s old locket
8. Who did they eventually find was in possession of the locket/Horcrux?
d. Dolores Umbridge
9. What did Harry find embedded in the door of Umbrdige’s office?
a. Moody’s magical eye
10. After retrieving the Horcrux, they tried to return to their safe place but they were pursued (actually Yaxley tagged along when they disapparated). This meant that the Death Eaters knew their hiding place and they had to go somewhere else. Where did Hermione take them?
d. To the site of the Quidditch World Cup
Saturday, February 14, 2009
My mom flew in last night and we were out running around all day today. Going to be out tomorrow too. I think Monday we'll stay home and relax. I'll work on my duel hat then. My partner mailed yesterday, so I knew I was dead.
I've been working on my hat for the HLBOE swap. It's my first time doing stranded colorwork. Unfortunately, I had to frog after getting a good amount into the hat. But, it was a learning experience and I know what to do this time. I'm only on the ribbing now, but hope to get some time to work on it tomorrow. I have my luxury item already and just need to pick up a couple of other goodies for this package.
My yarn arrived yesterday for the HSKS swap project. I'll get started on that after I finish up my HLBOE hat. My spoilee wants a bag kit, so I'll have to start looking for a pattern and yarn for her. I do have an idea, a bag I've made recently for my sister. Easy pattern, fun to make and very cute.
So, we went thrift store shopping today. I got 3 sweaters to reclaim yarn from. I did my first sweater a couple of weeks ago and it was fun. I dyed some of it up this week. I dyed some sock yarn I had too. I did one of the sock yarns in a Doctor Who colorway I created. I haven't had time to reskein all my dyeing efforts, but maybe next week sometime and I really want to do a little swatch on the Doctor Who yarn to see how it looks.
I've discovered a new Indie dyer. Her yarn is called Cosmic Fibers and she has a shop on Etsy. I am in love with her colorways. I currently have Jim Jones on the needles (a sock). I just got one of her Dexter colorways and have another one coming. She also has a Neferious sock club that I belong to and it's awesome! She's done HP colorways too and I really want to get the Deathly Hollow colorway.
I've found 2 other Indie dyers who do HP colorways that work up really nice. Mackintosh Yarns (just bought one of hers) and RazzyTazzyKnits.
So, I've been doing a lot of yarn shopping lately and it's been fun. I've been lucky enough to get some skeins of Wollmeise. I'm currently working with Wilder Mohn and it's just beautiful worked up. I have some SOS. I have Indisch Rot and Schwartz coming and one that starts with an H (some sort of honey colorway).
Tomorrow we're going to the flea market to shop around. Should be fun, it usually is. :)
Tonight Ryan and I are going out to dinner. It's already 20 after 7, waiting for him and my mom to get back from Publix, she wanted to pick up something for herself for dinner and some milk for tomorrow. We were originally going to go out tomorrow night, but Ryan has a lot of homework due tomorrrow and with all the running around we've been doing, we decided to just go to dinner tonight and probably the book store after. We're going to a restaurant called Sticky Fingers and I'm getting the ribs. They're really good. And they have the best pecan pie ever.
Well, I think that's about all for now.
84 so far
I've got to stop for now. I'm kind of tired and I want to brush my teeth. BBL with possibly more words and an update in general.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
- What are your three most favorite colors? I have to pick just 3? Hmm.... orange, purple and red/pinks. I really love all colors, especially if they're deep and bright and lovely. I'm not a big fan of pastels.
- What are you three least favorite colors? Greys, certain blues and yellows
- Your favorite candy is __Chocolate! _______________.
- Who is your favorite Weasley? Molly
- Do you knit, crochet, or both? Both
- What type of kit did you ask for? Sock or Fingerless gloves
- Acrylic— (a) has its uses, (b) should all be burned, (c) best yarn to work with? (choose an answer) B
- Who is the Gryffindor Head Girl ? CentyB
- Name four "extras" you would love to receive in your kit. Row counter bracelet, a Knit Picks gauge/ruler/needle sizer thing (I received on in a past swap and my dog chewed about a quarter of it off. &*(# I still use it, but I'd love a new one lol), stitch markers and candy! :)
- What are your three most favorite scents? I love musky, subtle scents. Not fruity or artificial/chemicaly
- Do you prefer salty or sweet snacks? Both hehe
- Which Gryffindor and Slytherin students are sisters in real life? Lizzy Wychwood and Emma Wigwort
- Do you really need more stitch markers? Yes, I love stitch markers.
- DPNs, circular, or straight? DPN's or circs. I've only used DPN's on my socks so far, but sometime this year I'm going to learn magic loop and 2 circs.
- Favorite yarn? Dream yarn? I LOVE Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock. It's such a nice yarn to work with. I'm open to just about any Indy dyers though.
- Favorite HP Movie? Goblet of Fire
- Favorite HP character? Severus Snape (Minerva Mcgonagall runs a close 2nd)
- What is your favorite pattern? Hmm... I don't really have one. After doing a pattern once or twice, I kinda move on. I'm currently using a very basic sock pattern for my footies and I can see that being used a few times, but otherwise I like trying different patterns.
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Sunday, January 25, 2009
I've posted on Ravelry, but I'll mention it here too. I've decided to donate chemo caps to the West Palm Beach VMAC. This is where my dad was treated and passed away, so I'll be very happy to send some donations to their chemo patients. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.
I have finally finished a pair of longies I've been doing for a trade. I am so glad. I had to set them aside for holiday knitting and am glad to have them done! They'll be in the mail this week, woot!
This week I also finally fixed my 1st pair of socks. See, after I finished knitting them, they were a little big. So, even though they're superwash, I thought a trip through the washer and dryer might shrink them just a little. It didn't, but it did give one of them a hole. I thought it was fixable and it was. Yay! I'm almost done with my 2nd pair of socks now and just started my 3rd pair today. My 2nd and 3rd pair are footies. I love them. They're pretty quick and that's what I wear anyways.
I'm waiting to hear back from my spoilee from the HLBOE swap about colors and waiting for Charmed Knits to get here and then I can get started on my project. I think I know which yarn I'll be using.
I signed up for HSKS7 this week. I'm looking forward to finding out who my partner is. It seems the requirement for this term is knitting a bag. I was thinking of that anyways, but no decision until after I hook up with my spoilee.
I am also involved in the Bitchcake Swap on Ravelry. Fortunately this swap does not require me to make anything, just fun buying. :) We do a small gift this month and next and the large surprise in March.
Ok, so I've decided I really want to build my stash up some this year. So, I now belong to 4 yarn clubs. Three of them are socks and one is cotton. Only 1 is monthly, so that makes it a little better. The others are all bi-monthly. Here they are:
The Unique Sheep's Lord of the Ring Sock Club and Rubber Ducky Club.
The Loopy Ewe's Sock Club
Cosmic Fiber's Neferious Club
Should be a lot of fun!
Well, the little guy is wanting my attention, so I'm going to close this for now.
Monday, January 19, 2009
Well, I'm fairly embarrassed now.
I think I've got my charity nailed down, I've got to call them tomorrow. It'll be for chemo caps, I hope. I'm calling the VA hospital my dad was treated at. They do accept donations, I just have to call and make sure chemo caps are wanted and what kind of materials. Once I have all that info, I will post it to the Rav board.
Monday, January 12, 2009
I am having a hard time getting into the swing of things for this swap. I think because it's been so long between the inception and it starting.
I am still trying to find a SPEW charity. I emailed what I thought would be a local charity, but haven't heard back, so I'm going to have to do things the hard way. Actually make phone calls or visits. lol I'll try to remember tomorrow morning to stop at the hospital on base and see if they have a volunteer coordinator. I'd like to find a charity where we can donate chemo caps and preemie/baby caps. So, hopefully that will be a go for us. I will post to the Rav board when I know for sure.
So, HSKS7 is getting ready to start soon too. I considered not signing up since I'm doing this swap, as well as participating in a KAL/CAL and I have holiday gifts I need to finish in about a month (when my mom comes to visit), but hey, it's The Deathly Hallows and will be my 4th time. I've got to participate. Plus, it's a fun swap and I enjoy the people who participate. Once again, I flirted with the idea of a different house, but I really enjoy the other Gryffindor peeps. They're a fun bunch, so I'll stick with Gryffindor. :)
This week I need to get in contact with my spoilee and see what kind of hat she prefers or if she just wants a surprise.
All right, I'm going to post this so it'll be there when Pren checks. :)